Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Taming of the Shrew

Hannah Miet is my new muse. I thought for a time why the poetry wasn't coming, why the words remained stagnant. Or worse, neatly tucked into approved-sentence structure with properly placed punctuation AND capitalized words. The horror. the horror. I decided that my creativity had been drained from this blog business or simply leaking out of my cublicle chair(along with my will to live). I needed some help.

First, I was assisted by the-guy-with-a-gift who gave me a magical assignment: write from a male point-of-a-view. Specifically, "no feminist sarcasm". I was worried, to be sure, that some might accidently spurt out(it wells about the throat, waiting). I can't help that vast majority of men and their behavior give me ageda on a regular basis. Maybe I should hop out of the frat scene for awhile and linger among the engineers. They at least inspire some faith.

When the assignment piqued immediate interest, I realized that my writer's block may have been simply been caused by having nothing to write about. To be fair, this is a positive in real-world terms, as almost all of it is angsty in some way. Or simply angry(comedy comes from anger, according to something I read somewhere...therefore it must be true.) Or sad(read: pathetic. No one gets to read those though. Sorry, schaudenfreude fans). So, sadly for my creativity, I haven't had to bitch anyone out via free-form in awhile. Poo.

Back to the assignment, I began with the internal monologue of a guy about to approach a girl in a bar. Then realizing how risky that would be(breaking the constraints of the assignment waaaay too easy), I decided to try a different tactic. Channeling my knowledge of all that is idealistic, rom-com, wishywashy, and generally unrealistic, I wrote the internal monologue of a type b guy comforting a friend, whom he secretly loves. Mhmhm mush.  I think I successfully made males come off non-scummy, but that's probably because, as my friend aptly put, "I don't think it's male enough".

Can't win 'em all, I guess.



p.s. If you want to read the poem(or any of my other pieces), just give me a shout. I'm a bit overprotective.

No comments:

Post a Comment