Sunday, August 8, 2010

Saviors in Boat Shoes and Stilettos

Memory:
Hustle and bustle at the house. Curling irons scorching counter tops(just kidding campus apartments!) Powders and creams; shine and shimmer coating sinks and faces. Dresses. Heels(That do not fit.) Handles of vodka. It's formal time.

Date ETA: 45 minutes. Primping: on schedule.

Discovery of plastic tag still on dress. Strong resistance to conventional means of removal. 

Screaming. Panic.

Hammer. tweezers. Swiss army knife. Ripping a hole in the thing and calling it a day.

Realization that gaping hole in dress is, well, a gaping hole.

Temper tantrum. Panic. 

Savior in pink taffeta: sew it for you?

Rejoice.

Savior in brown BCBG: peach schnapps?

Calm.


Sometimes peace of mind is a just a phone call or sewing stitch away. I've been very fortunate that I've never been lacking in the crisis-be-gone! ointment department. Y'know, the type you put on a particularly egregious zit like a break up or typical panic attack. The main person hooking me up with this salve over the years has been my dad.

So I'll admit it: I'm a daddy's girl. But instead of the typified shopping sprees for shoes, our idea of an impulse buy is a book. or five. Sadly, I appreciate these sorts of purchases infinitely more than the former. I know this makes me totally weird. And very hard to please.

Because half the time I'd rather hang out at a Barnes and Noble with my dad, laptops out, sharing articles we know the other will find interesting, relaying stories of the day about our coworkers and friends. I have blown off parties to sit and talk about Vonnegut and sip caramel macchiatos with my dad. I am in college. There is something wrong with this picture.

I remember one time I dragged a guy to my favorite haunt. Poor kid didn't know what hit him. We sat in the fiction aisle, and I tried to explain to him how boss Anne Rice is. Apparently vampire novelists aren't the best topic of discussion for dates, who knew?(Stephanie Meyers YOU DO NOT COUNT.) After making him uncomfortable for a wee bit longer, I let him take me for ice cream. 

When I think of our ventures - almost always involving food(Hey. Hey. Want to get dessert? YES. I'm on my way.), I remember I am very fortunate to have people like him in my life  - those waiting to rescue you from whatever crisis comes your way. I can only hope I've been a least a fraction of the white knight he and other dear people have been. 

At least, as these things go, I have time to make it up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment