Monday, May 28, 2012

Survey of the Universe

Although I fulfilled my natural sciences sector in a different astronomy, I feel as if I've graduated Penn with a "survey of the universe". Only with a focus on the vastness and varieties of human kindness.

Survival is a funny thing. So is natural selection. (It pleases the cancer patient to inform you that an 'Intro to Anthro' course said Darwin was a bit off.) But to me, the most compelling aspect of evolution is altruism. Some scholars say it is unnatural and unrealistic. I cannot think of a better environment for such an notion to thrive than in this hyper-competitive, pre-professional bubble we call home.

Though I'm afraid I must disappoint the Hobbesians and homo economicus* aficionados among you, for it simply does not hold. My proof? Commencement.
Or rather, my presence at it.
(I don't know if you saw, but there is a good 20 seconds of me butchering "The Red and the Blue" on the live stream.)

You see, without altruism there is simply no conceivable way (in hell?) I would have been able to physically don the robe, complete with multicolored hood representing an almost-not-terrible GPA in 36 courses required by my major to graduate. In that robe (amidst the itchy fabric), therein lies about a thousand reminders that I am capable and that help was out there if I asked for it...Plus or minus a few (thousand) extensions, emotional breakdowns in office hours, late night orange-mango juice runs, some serious Penn Nursing skills, dates at the HUP ER, straws for when solid foods were difficult, and hugs for when a life and this present seemed just out of reach.
If you looked hard enough, you would probably find things like "motivational text messages" and "reminders that you don't suck at things". Themes include: the defeat of self-doubt, genuine understanding, a triumph over internal and external bullshittery, "How are you?", you-don't-look-awkward-in-
your-wig-I-swear, I-still-like-you-even-though-you-can't-do-shots-at-Smokes. Distinct memories include: A walk home from class when I couldn't make it myself. The check-in phone call. Cleaning my central venous catheter every 4th day.

We are all incredibly busy people -- our Google calendars can speak to the vast multicolor spreads we subject ourselves to every week. The utility maximizer would simply not waste the time in-between prepping for "Consulting Interview X" and studying for "fuck-this-midterm Y" editing the essay of the girl-whose-chemo-brain-forgot-how-to-spell-deontological. It would be...irrational. (Pardon the misuse of every theory we ever learned, PPE.) That is, unless Penn kids had something else driving them beyond the ambition that sets them apart from (most) other graduates. This is where altruism, or "without any foreseeable benefit to self, I will expend time and effort helping the sick kid" comes in.
Somehow, amidst the ever-present opportunities to strive for greatness, network, kick-everyone-to-the-bottom-of-the-curve, my classmates found themselves (sometimes literally) hand-holding the kid who was sometimes too weak to walk it down to Williams. They willingly took on the additional weight of a physical and emotional burden that would probably require a couple credits and a lab course to fully comprehend. My classmates became purveyors of empathy, deviating from whatever normative behavioral model ivy league kids are meant to exhibit.*** They saved my graduation date and they saved my life.

Our baccalaureate speaker said it best when he spoke of the forgotten gifts: compassion, insight, and attention. It is due to the beyond-equitable division of these invaluable assets that I succeeded at Penn. And it is you, the almost-little-dictators-that-could**, that made it happen.
*PPE203: Behavioral Economics
**Dictator Game, PPE204: Philosophy of Social Science
***General douchebaggery, IVY001

2 comments:

  1. If you notice, humans are much more likely to be "selfless" with those who are likely to be "selfless" in return. Those people had relationships with you and were likely to receive help from you or someone like you in the future. They much rarely send encouraging messages to Greek olive farmers. It helps all of us to be in a culture where that behavior is normal, and thus we look down on those who don't do it. We invite them to fewer outings, see them less and make them less a part of our lives. You are in their "in group" so they help you.

    ReplyDelete