Wednesday, April 18, 2012

"memo"

18/30

I want to express my hesitance
and this
is the only appropriate medium to
express unshared sentiments heading
to the trash heap.

You see
I found you once,
twice,
again, again,
all with the intention of
making our next encounter intentional.
alas, never to be so
and now
we will escape to separate spheres and
never again experience the beauty
of the occasional overlap in the
space-time continuum fate grants us.

I speak of fate because I believe in it,
like the tooth fairy before age 10 or
Santa before I got too wise.
Fatalist with some free will,
I guess I'd hoped for enough
of a nudge from this paternalistic universe
to make something happen.

I know you don't believe in anything but
humor me just one last time.
I swear the sound
of your voice could wake the dead and
I've been a flesh-eating zombie in your absence.
(I swear that was meant to sound more attractive than it did)
but it's been awhile and
I'm fresh out of reasons to perform for you.

So lull me
back into my grave before you leave.
turn out the lights and
wait for the storm.
leave me a post-it at the door.
--
A momento,
the memo
from a past unexplored.

No comments:

Post a Comment