Thursday, June 24, 2010

Serendipped-over

"Remember when eye contact was foreplay?
To a conversation we weren't supposed to have."

Warning: we have reached the "self-quoting" level of ego. But it should be expected - there is, after all, a certain threshold one must pass before becoming a blogger.

I've decided that I'm going to write a story. Or rather, rewrite stories of fuzzy memories and fashion them into shiny bits of fluff to break off like cotton candy(the blue kind, that is) when I need a sugar fix. I see that being therapeutic. Poetry, my intended catharsis, has only served as an ostentatious reminder of emotions I'd rather not have.

I want something like this:

Setting? I'm thinking Vegas. It could be a combination of The Hangover 
and Serendipity. A "down to earth" romance of sorts. Maybe toss in some Showgirls - 
the protagonist could be a overly ambitious hooker with a heart of gold (just kidding 
that's "Pretty Woman", but I suppose we could toss that in too.)
The lead guy? Someone like the Dentist, definitely. I see him complementing a 
John-Cusack-type of chase around Vegas, looking for the girl he met when he was 
black out drunk. They, in their intoxicated states, discuss the concept of Fate
(yes I'm capitalizing it) and insist they won't need to swap PINs because it is "meant to be".

Of course, years down the line, after sort-of-marrying a stripper and a douchey art collector,
respectively, the guy and girl finally encounter one another after The Amazing Race-like 
shenanigans(Serendipity and The Hangover combined, you know). I'd rather there not be 
any roofies involved though, that's just...unpleasant.

The main thing to gain from this though(despite the fantastically tasteful allusions to 
movies no where near deemed classic enough to pull off such a stunt), is the concept of 
Fate. Or rather, what people are willing to do with it(or not do with it...). It's no longer 
just a chase, it's goddamn persistence.

And that's one of the qualities I admire most.

No comments:

Post a Comment